Besides proper care and maintenance, which are important for longevity and good look of your leather product, you should know a few things about leather cleaning. In fact, the clean leather is required and come before care and maintenance. Keeping your leather clean prevents its degeneration, but also emphasises its appearance.
There are several ways to clean leather. Like in care some are universal and can apply to different type of leather and in that sense, on different leather products.
8 Ways Of Leather Cleaning
- Read the tag for specific instructions. Almost all leather products include a tag describing how to clean it. There are many varieties of a leather because that follow the specific instructions on the label whenever is possible.
- Dust leather with a gentle brush or cloth. If you want to avoid scuffing or damaging the leather, for dusting use a dry cotton cloth, nubuck cloth, or camel hair brush.
- Clean finished leather with a damp cloth. First, you need to test your leather. Drop a single drop of water on it. If the water stays on the surface, it is safe and you can wipe leather using a slightly damp cloth. If the water is absorbed and darkens the leather, do not apply this method.
- Rub an art gum eraser over grime. This method works best on a used leather. When it comes to other types of leather, it is better to test on a hidden area first. Just rub the art gum eraser over the dirty areas to remove all dirt. If the remains of gum stick to the leather remove them with a vacuum cleaner or compressed air.This kind of eraser can be found at crafts stores under the name “artist’s eraser,” It is important not to commingle with the “kneaded erasers,” that looks similar, but it doesn’t crumble when used as the art gum.
- Remove mold with rubbing alcohol or mild soap. If your leather items covered with mold, in the form of white or grey fuzz, then mix the same amount of water and rubbing alcohol. Gently wipe the affected area using a cotton cloth soaked in this solution. If this procedure does not achieve the desired results, use a germicidal soap mixed with water. When you remove the mold, wipe the residues of liquids with a dry cotton cloth.
- Use leather cleaning products. It’s very important to use products for leather cleaning, which are designed for your leather type. Also, test the products at hidden places to spot changes in color or damage. When you apply the product allow it to stay on leather for a few minutes and then wipe it with a clean cloth. If there is no damage to the surface, you can safely use the product with the specified instructions. Suede, nubuck or other specific types of leather, treat with products that are exclusively for that type of leather.
- Clean suede leather with a specialised brush or a dry sponge. You can remove light grime from suede with “Suede brushes”. This may work best if you first expose suede on steam. You can hang the suede in a steamy bathroom, but do not apply steam directly to the suede with an iron, as heat can cause damage. You can use a dry sponge as a cheaper option. Do not use this method on non-suede leather, or on unidentified leather, they may cause scratches.
- Take your leather product to a dry cleaner specialising in leather. If you have a leather product which is convenient for the caring, take it to a dry cleaner that specifically advertises leather cleaning services. First, make sure whether the dry cleaner knows how to treat the type of leather and stain before handing your leather over. Never wash a leather product in a washing machine, no matter how waterproof is.
Many people think that their leather products are practically indestructible and they can last forever, only because they are made of leather. This is absolutely untrue. Leather is more resistible on physical influences and the ravages of time, but she also requires proper care. This particularly applies to products that come into contact with external factors such as water, sun, dust and more. That’s why try to use some of the methods about we wrote for the leather cleaning, but also, for the care and maintenance. You will find that your leather product looks much better and healthier.